Monday, September 26, 2011

I Did It

Well I finally did it.  I removed myself from the great distraction of facebook.  I hadn’t realized how much time I actually spent on facebook until now.  It’s almost a relief to not have it anymore.  It did make me a bit nervous how in deactivating my account they said people could still invite me to events and I could log back in at any time.  Hmmm...
So I had a really amazing devotional time this morning.  I’m doing our church’s ‘Foundations’ devotional and it was talking about reading the Bible ‘for real’.  Not just reading the words but seeking God in it.  I’ve been reading a Chronological Bible and I’ve found it very helpful to read the events in the order that they occurred.   So today before I started the Bible reading portion of my devotional time I asked God to speak to me though what I would be reading and these are the passages that stuck out to me:
2 Samuel 23:10
‘He killed Philistines until his hand was too tired to lift his sword, and the Lord gave him a great victory that day.  The rest of the army did not return until it was time to collect the plunder.’
2 Samuel 23:12
‘But Shammah held his ground in the middle of the field and beat back the Philistines.  So the Lord brought about a great victory.
Both verses are talking about David’s strongest warriors.  Jashobeam (verse 10) and Shammah stood their ground in difficult circumstances.  Even when the rest of the army deserted him Jashobeam kept fighting for the goal of victory.  He used all his strength and concentration until he could not even lift his own sword, ‘and the Lord gave him a great victory.’  The rest of the army ran away from this difficult task of winning a battle.  They only returned to reap the benefits of victory.
Now these guys weren’t perfect and neither am I; but what an amazing picture of faith!  Standing firm no matter what others around them were doing and God gave them great victory!  I’m going to ponder about that one today!
Thanks God!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go for getting off Facebook. Maybe I'll do that someday, too...maybe, lol! Anyway, do you think I could get your email address...so I could still have some way of contacting you if I want to, please?

    ReplyDelete